Wednesday 5 November 2014

Dal Makhani | Indian Recipe | Vegan version



As winters have just about set in, and woolens have been sunned. I am set to welcome the minimalist winters here in the southern part of my country. I miss those lovely winters of the north where you clad yourself with layers and layers of clothing. Ahhhh... Can't really get those winters here but atleast I can cook myself some favorite recipes that are especially cooked this time of the year. One of my personal favorite has to the "dal makhani".  As a child I just hated daal ( all kids that age did or still do ) until 5 years back I tasted the most amazing Dal makhani in the royal city of Jodhpur. And believe you me the taste was to die for and since than I have crazily fallen in love with that dish.. Not that I found the same taste else where but just the thought of that taste keeps my love alive for it.





Today I have tried my version of the recipe and to make it vegan I am using coconut milk instead of milk and fresh cream. Also I have realize that coconut milks adds a little sweetness to go with the spicy bit of the dal. I am sure you would too fall in love with this recipe once you try it out.



Prep time - 8 hrs
Cooking time - less than 30 mins

INGREDIENTS

  • 01 cup - black urad dal ( whole black lentils)
  • 1/2 cup - rajma ( red kidney beans )
  • 01 medium - red onion
  • 01 tsp - ginger garlic paste
  • 01-02 - thinly sliced green chilies 
  • 01 cup - tomato purée 
  • 01 tsp - cumin powder
  • 01 tsp - coriander powder
  • 01 tsp - garam masala 
  • 01 tsp - Kasuri methi ( fenugreek leaves dried)
  • 02 - 03 - cloves
  • 2" - cinnamon stick 
  • 01 - bay leaf 
  • Salt to taste
  • Red chilly powder to taste
  • 1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
  • 01 cup - coconut milk 
  • 01 tbsp - oil 

  • METHOD 
  1. Soak the urad dal and rajma overnight.
  2. Rinse the soaked dals and presure cook it along with bay leaf , cinamon stick and cloves for 05-06 whistles. Or till well done.
  3. Transfer the cooked dal Ina bowl. 
  4. Place the presure cooked on flame and pour oil and cook the onions till it turns pink, now add ginger garlic paste and green chilly  cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add the tomate purée and cook till oil oozes out of the tarka. Add turmeric, red chilly powder,coriander powder & cumin powder. Cook the masala well. If required add a little water so that it doesn't burn.
  6. Now add the boiled lentils to the tadka and mash half the lentils into a rough paste. Cook for 10 mins on low flame. 
  7. Add kasuri methi and coconut milk.
  8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and coconut milk.
  9. Serve hot with naan or roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment