Wednesday 4 June 2014

SHREWSBURY BISCUITS | ENGLISH BISCUIT | SHREWSBURY CAKE




Hello everybody... Today I am super duper excited to receive a surprise packet containing the most famous Shrews-bury Biscuits from my neighbor. Ahhhhh... Such a delight it is to see them !! These biscuits/cake (yes Shrews-bury biscuits are known as cake in England). In India there's only one bakery in Pune Maharashtra called the kayani bakery that offers the original biscuits ( not that I have heard of any other bakery making them, at least not that tastes so original) Since childhood I remember anyone travelling to Pune had to get us a box of these goodies. Everything about this bakery is so old school that you keep wanting to go back to that place. They still do not use any fancy packing. Probably that's why it's so popular.


While I bit into my buttery love. I thought of looking up the web to search the original recipe. So anytime any of us crave for these lovelies we can just get up and bake.( I know it can't beat the original but at least our cravings are taken care of)


To my surprise this is probably the easiest to bake cookies I have come across.



Prep time - 20 mins
Baking time - 20 mins
Makes - 35 

INGREDIENTS

  • 250 grams - all propose flour
  • 100 grams - table butter
  • 100 grams - sugar powdered
  • 1/4 tsp - lemon essence 
  • 01 - zest of lemon
  • 01 - egg
  • Milk if required.

METHOD 

  1. Sieve the flour.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
  3. Beat the egg and lemon rind.Add lemon essence.
  4. Add the flour. If required, add a little milk to make a dough.
  5. Turn the mixture on to a floured board. Knead until smooth.
  6. Roll out thinly. Prick all over with a fork. Cut out rounds.
  7. Place the biscuits on a greased baking tin.
  8. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.


And all my friends in Pune enjoy till you can ;) 




2 comments: