Tuesday 28 April 2015

Blueberry Rice Pudding | Dessert | Vegan Recipe


I know I am being rather slow in posting recipes but i am on my way out of Hyderabad & shifting to a new place. Packing and winding up was keeping me super busy. So, while i was cleaning up my fridge, I found a packet of frozen wild blueberries some where in the freezer compartment. So I decided to make a New York cheese cake to actually realise that I have already packed my OTG as well . So, I raided the pantry to find these really tiny looking rice called the Samak Rice in India also called Echinochloa Millet. So I decided to make a rice pudding (kheer) Rice puddings are usually made with eggs but as I have more vegetarian followers so I thought of doing a vegan version.




Rice Pudding in India is no big deal (we call it kheer) as it is made in almost all the regions. But as I browsed the internet I realised that rice puddings /kheer is equally popular world wide . I hope you enjoy my version of the International favourite 
"rice pudding".




Serves - 04 
Time - 01 hr 


INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup - Samak rice
  • 02 cups - coconut milk 
  • 01 cup -  water 
  • 1/2 tsp - vanilla essence
  • 1/2 tsp - nutmeg powder
  • 1/2 tsp - cinnamon powder (to sprinkle)
  • 04 tbsp - Maple syrup (As I am doing a vegan version I have added maple syrup)
  • 01 cup - Blueberries.
METHOD
  1. Boil the rice and water in a large pot, cover and let it cook till the rice is tender and absorbs all the water for about 15-20 mins.
  2. Stir in the coconut milk,vanilla essence, nutmeg powder and maple syrup. Let it cook for another 20 mins, make sure the pot is not covered this time.
  3. Mean while in a pan add the frozen blueberries and let it simmer for 15 mins.
  4. Pour the rice pudding in a dish and refrigerate for atleast and hour before scooping out into individual serving glasses/ dishes.
  5. layer the pudding along with the blueberries with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment