Saturday 26 April 2014

Homemade Ginger Ale Soda Pop







The taste of ginger ale doesn't go too far back. I remember when I was working in Gurgaon some 5 years back one of my co designer & great friend used to get this power packed refreshing ginger ale to work & share it often with me. Before having this drink, I was averse to ginger in general. As a kid I would just pull up a fuss when ever I would taste ginger in any thing .... Anything means any damn thing. Just hated Ginger.


But to my surprise, I just loved this drink & for the first time ginger was refreshing to me. The ginger ales that I had seen before(as I refused to taste it ) were boring to look at,dirty white in colour. This one had beautiful pale pink colour, I guess the saying is true that... 50% of food is judged by its presentation & colour.


Benefits of drinking ginger ale

  • Homemade ginger ale contains medicinal properties that can reduce inflammation caused bone diseases such as osteoarthritis.
  • Ginger ale comprises of gingerol, a chemical substance that can kill ovarian cancer cells.
  • Great antioxidant.
  • Suppresses nausea, abdominal pain and even upset stomach. 
  •  Reduces stress.
Fact
  • The first ever soda pop made in the USA was Vernor's Ginger Ale, which was made in Detroit in 1866. He sold it in his pharmacy for 30 years.
  • The concoction can be stored in an air tight Mason Jar for up to 15-20 days in the refrigerator.


Perp time - 5 min
Cooking time - 15 mins

Ingredients
  • 200 grms - Ginger 
  • 3 measuring cups - Sugar  
  • 04 - lemon
  • 1 ltr - water 
  • 01 - star anise  
  • 02 drops - raspberry red food colour 
Method
  1. Grate ginger & take out juice and keep aside.
  2. Squeeze out the lemon.
  3. Boil water with sugar, star anise till water reduces to half
  4. Cool the above mixture to room temperature & add the ginger juice & lemon juice to it.
  5. Strain the liquid and store it in a mason jar in the refrigerator.
  6. Serve the concoction with chilled soda.
This home made ginger ale can be used for various cocktails & mocktails. I enjoy it with a few slices of cucumber & maybe some berries.








6 comments: