Thursday 22 May 2014

Spiced Mango Preserve | Pickled mango | Sweet & Sour




While I had my guests over, I decided to request our friends mother to make her family secret recipe of this sweet & sour mango preserve. Another and the main reason is that I have this huge mango tree in my back yard and I hate to see the mangoes fall when ever it rains. So I decided to make use of both the mangoes & aunty ;)


Our friends belong to Uttar Pradesh in India, and doing pickles for them is as easy as we doing fried eggs !! Every time my friend would visit us , she would get me jars filled with these spicy goodies. And they varied from stuffed chillies to mango preparations. So how could I let go of this opportunity when her mom in law was around too.


Something I found in Wikipedia - Pickles produced in traditional method contain Lactobacillus, produced by fermentation in brine (salt and water). Pickles produced using vinegar do not contain Lactobacillus. Lactobacillus makes traditional pickles probiotic.

Makes - 1kg
Time - 1hr

Ingredients

  • 750 grms - Raw mango (sliced).
  • 50 grms - Garlic clove peeled.
  • 10 - Whole dried red chilly.
  • 01 tbsp - Paunch phooran ( mix of 5 spices - fenugreek seeds,ani seeds,mustard seeds,onion seeds,cumin)
  • 100 grms - Jaggery.
  • 1/2 tsp - Turmeric.
  • Salt to taste.
  • Vegetable Oil to sauté. 

Method

  1. Peel & slice the mangoes.Add turmeric & salt, keep aside.
  2. In a wok heat oil & add the five spice mix & let it crackle, add red chilly.
  3. Put  the sliced mangoes & let it cook.
  4. Add jaggery & cook further till it solidifies. 





2 comments:

  1. wow.....is there a home delivery option

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Wgco anything for you... Thanx a lot for commenting
      Regards

      Delete